Wednesday, May 9, 2012

brothers

You don't have to be in the same place to be family, You don't even have to be in the same family to be family. I have always known this, I just have seen it at work recently more than others.

 Things happen. Not all of them are necessarily bad things, just things that happen in people's lives that cause them to go one direction or another. For example, there has been some of these things that have happened with some members of my department, and they have now moved to another neighboring volunteer department. I miss them. I miss them so much. I miss seeing them everyday and cooking hot dogs and late nights that usually end up with someone in trouble or slightly injured. But, we are still family. A brotherhood is not separated into individual entities, but is one, as a whole. We still call each other and pick on each other and are always there if one of us is in need.
After I found out that I passed my EMT exam today, one of my brothers who moved departments was the very first person I called, because I knew he would be excited and proud of me. We are there to support and laugh and celebrate and cry with each other, if need be.  They could all move to opposite ends of the country tomorrow, I would hate it, but if one of them needed something, there is no doubt in my mind that all of us would be on the first plane out of town.
Families fight. It happens. It doesn't mean you love someone less. But we are still brothers. We are still sisters. We are a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment