Thursday, July 28, 2011

Aaaggghhhh!

I feel like there are 3 year olds running around inside of me. That's the only way I can describe how excited I am right NOW.

I know this lady who works out around the same times I do at Benders. Her name is Whitney and she is an EMT and is currently working to get her RN. I have talked to her a lot recently about what I want to do in the future. Her husband is a Paramedic firefighter out at a station in Madison, and on his off days he is chief of the Mud Tavern Volunteer Fire Station. I guess she talked to him about me and he introduced himself to me last week while I was at the gym. His name is Richard, and he was telling me all about the volunteers and how relaxed it is, and how you only have to do what you feel comfortable doing, whether that is cleaning the station and equipment to actually training and being on duty and responding to calls. He said that there are volunteer meetings every Thursday nights and that they would be more than happy to receive any help they could get!

I just got back from my first meeting. I was really nervous when I pulled into the parking lot. But once I got out of the car and met some of the guys, I could tell I had nothing to worry about. They are some of the biggest country bumpkins I have ever met in my life, but also some of the nicest and goofiest. I could tell they were good people. I met another guy, John, who was just about to get sworn in by the board, and he said you couldn't ask for a better group.

The former Batallion Chief of the Decatur Department was the one teaching tonight. He was great. You can tell he loved it. You could tell they ALL loved it. He lit up every time he told us a story. I know that it is going to be hard. It's going to be a lot to learn, especially for someone like me coming straight out of high school off the street with no prior experience at all, but I am looking forward to learning everything I can.After it was over, all the guys took me out to the huge garage deck and opened up all the trucks and showed me everything. They were all just SO nice and welcoming.

I cannot freaking contain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment