Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rosemary and Ms. Dossie

Last night I went to volunteer at St. Luke Methodist Church to help with their Thanksgiving dinner for the homeless or impoverished of Decatur. Drivers bussed them over from the NCC, CCC, and th Salvation Army. I helped set up and was assigned to a table to serve food and take refills and just whatever they needed. Amother and daughter came in and sat at my a,d Jimmy, our table host's, table. They were about my mom and grandmothers ages and were the cutes things I have ever seen. The daughter's name was Rosemary, and the mom, who couldn't have been more than 5 feet tall, was Ms. Dossie. They had the biggest personalities and were so full of life. There was a band playing some contemporary worship music, and they were dancing and singing and clapping their hands. When the dessert cart came around Ms. Dossie got a piece of red velvet cake. It turned her tongue and mouth completely red, so we laughed about that for a long time.

Mrs. Thibidoux was the one that told us of the event because it was at her church so she was floating around and making sure everyone was okay. She came over to check on our table and Rosemary was telling her how beautiful her necklace that she was wearing was. Mrs. Thibidoux walked away for a few moments then came back around behind Rosemary and fastened the necklace around her neck and said, "Well lets see how it looks on you!" and then walked away. Ms. Rosemary jumped up and ran and gave her a big hug and started crying. I'm pretty sure some of us at the table did too. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone so happy. Mrs. Thibidoux is such a great role model for people of any age, and I hope that I can be like her when I get older.

You can tell that everyone of the people that came to get a meal had put on their best clothes, even if some people would not consider it so. There napkins sitting at every table setting that had a big colorful turkey printed on them, when Ms. Rosemary and Ms. Dossie saw them, their eyes got wide, and they leaned over and asked if I had any paper towls I could give them to use instead of the napkins. They said they couldn't stand to get something so pretty dirty with food. Rosemary said she could unfold it and cover her entire table that she had at home with it, like a placemat. I assured them that there were plenty more and that I could give them each a few before they went home to take with them.
We take so much for granted. Those people last night were some of the most gracious thankful people that I have ever encountered, it didn't matter if they had the brand names or labels to prove it.
When they finally got up to leave, they both told me good luck in college, and gave me a big hug. I would love to see them again.

I was so blessed that I could be of service. All the people at St. Luke are wonderful, caring, welcoming people, and even though I don't attend there, I felt like I could talk to some of them for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment