Monday, May 30, 2011

a field

Someone asked me once to draw my favorite place in nature. I really don't have one specific place that I love, but any field with long grass sometimes with horses will do, so thats what I drew.
When I was little, when we lived in our old house, me and dad would take our dog Rusty up to Woodmeade where there was a big open field in the back. No matter how far my dad threw that blue ball, Rusty always came back.
Throughout my pre-teenage years, I hung out alot with Lacey, my best friend at the time. Her and her family had horses, and I would go ride with them almost every weekend. I remember her and I walking through pasture after pasture and having what, at the time, were our serious conversations.
Even now, I have this place that I drive out to. I don't have a clue who owns it, and I probably am tresspassing or doing something illegal, but no one has stopped me yet. But its just a little pasture, with about 6 horses . I always take a big bag full of cut apples and carrots. To myself I refer to it as my happy getaway place. My friends make fun of me for loving them so much, but there is nothing more calming or beautiful than horses. Have you ever seen horses run through an open field? Its breath taking, and almost artistic the way their muscles move under their skin. They are so loving and trusting of people and always striving to please. This is why I want to have a horse ranch to help disabled kids when I get older. People talk about how horses have a certain 'sense,' and how they can tell to be extra gentle with little kids, and with people who have certain disabilities or disorders. This is why they they are always used in animal assisted therapy for anyone ranging from ADD to a traumatized war veteran. Its impossible for me to stay mad or angry or upset when I am at that place. Feeling those huge whiskery lips on my hand or shoulder is the best thing in the world.
I think people have forgotten how to have quiet places. They have forgotten how to calm themselves down without the aid of drugs or pills or hitting something or some other stimulant. Everyone needs that place, whether its tangible or in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment