Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fuego


OH. MY. GOSH.

I never thought I would say this, but I am going to be one of those people that are married to their careers.

I couldn't write about it then, but on Saturday I had my first fire training at the fire station. When I first got there I got fitted for Turn-Out gear. I don't care if I look like a man, I love it. And then Jake, the Lieutenant, fitted me and the other new girl, with oxygen masks and showed us how to work our SCBA's (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus)

In the field behind the department, someone had donated us an old Ford F150 for training. The first thing we practiced was Extrication, or using all the big power tools that you might need to get someone out of a smashed or flipped vehicle. If anyone has ever thought that all firefighters do is man handle big things to get people out and spray water on fire, they need to come to a training exercise. There is SO SO much thinking and quick planning to everything. Not only do they have to be quick about their decisions, but they have to be right 100% of the time because one or more peoples' lives almost always depends on it. There is structure and a right way to do EVERYTHING. I got to fully suit up and help take off doors and pop glass and try just about everything. Then, the guys set the truck on fire. With one of the other's help I got to go in with a hose and help put it out. I loved it. I have never felt that type of pure excitement and adrenaline rush ever. And this was just a small fire. Even though you are wearing all those close, I didn't even realize I was hot until I took them off. I have never sweat so much in my life, but it was AMAZING. I was on such a high after I left. My mom probably just wished I would shut up when I got home.

I have been spending quite a bit of time at the station. They haven't gotten a call to go out since I have been there, but I can't wait to go watch and maybe help when they do! I was talking to one of the guys the other night about firefighting in general and he said something like, "If I can help others to have more happy experiences in their life, even at my expense, then that is all I want to do."


They are amazing AMAZING people. I just wish I could know everything that they know NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment