Friday, August 12, 2011

Spaghetti

Tonight was rough.

First we had a little class time and talked about the different 'sections' of a house or building and how you classify and label them when describing location, and about RIT. Rapid Intervention Teams. Which are the firefighters who save other firefighters.. Then we did "Spaghetti drills." I was nervous enough because Matt kept saying it was a surprise and nobody could go out in the bay or out back to look at what he had made for us. Spaghetti drills are where your hose is stretched and twisted and knotted through all sorts of different obstacles and you have to try and find your way out. There is a certain pattern on the coupling of the hose that will lead you in the direction to get you back to the truck or pump. " Smooth bump, bump, to the pump." Its really cool actually. But, you have to do all of that in the dark, blindfolded, in full gear including an oxygen tank and disconnected mask. I was fine with the first three, but I didn't know I would have such a problem with just having the mask on with no air.

I made it under the truck... and that was it. I was mad, more than anything, that I couldn't go farther, because I couldn't breathe. I think if I would have calmed down a little I could have. Breathing in stagnant air just freaks me out for some reason. It just makes me want to go back and crawl under that truck a thousand times, which I might do. I need to practice being Darth Vader and walk around in the face mask with out oxygen, I suppose, as well.

I have told my friends that I have always wanted a big brother. Which of course is impossible, but I truly always have. I got so many encouraging text messages and comments from the guys after that training session. Even though they barely know me, and I them, I am so thankful to have that support system. They are awsome. Instead of having one big brother, I feel like I've gained about 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment